Subject: Re: You Can't Put A Price On Some Information
From: [email-masked] (robert hood)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:24:37 -0800

[...]
> 
> For the entire work of shooting and editing a school play, this includes the
> school's mark up - it is about $18, if I remeber right.  Of that - he has
> calculated $5 for the price of the tape, the cover(not cardboard, but a hard
> plastic), and the wear and tear on his duplication decks.  That is what a
> small duplicating company would generally charge according to him when I
> asked him.  
> 
> So I guess you _could_ complain becasue it costing him about $5 per tape....

Look, this discussion is becoming ludicrous.  If you have a problem with
how much the *tape* costs, then go out and buy your own blank tape and save
the $3.

However, we are not talking about how much the tape costs.  Packaging is
always among the smallest costs in the overall package.  We are talking
about the worth of the information that is contained on the medium.  Do you
think it costs Adobe $560 worth of material to sell Photoshop?  Hell no.
The manual and diskettes/CD-ROM probably total about $50.  The other 92% of
the cost of the software is for the PRODUCT, not the PACKAGE.  You're paying
for the time and effort to develop, test, market, etc. the system.

I think they are imparting knowledge/information that is worth the asking
price.  They have spent the time and effort to become (we assume) successful
businessmen in this field, and they are making that information available
to everyone.

If you the price is too high, then you aren't serious.

Render me gone,               |||
Bob                         ^(===)^
-------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------
Bob Hood, President | All governments suffer from a recurring problem:
Virtual Visions,Inc.| Power attracts pathological personalities.  It is not
Tel: 1.303.989.4191 | that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the
FAX: 1.303.727.7555 | corruptible.  Such people have a tendency to become
                    | drunk on violence, a condition to which they are
[email-masked]    | quickly addicted              - Frank Herbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------